Sunday, April 17, 2011

Big Fat Nerd.

The other night, my BFF and I were eating a meal together.  We eat a lot of meals together...so many, in fact, that I forget if this conversation took place over lunch or dinner- maybe it was just coffee/dessert that time?  ANYWAY, she's a professor at the university (fashion design) -- and spends her office hours watching fashion shows on Style.com or something of the like.  She loves that stuff.  This, of course, made me snort.  Who thinks it's fun to watch fashion shows online?????  I had the nerve to say that to someone who earned their Master's degree in fashion...in Milan.  She countered back with, "I'm going to go home and write a paper. YAY!">>> I grinned, because that actually sounded-- WAIT A MINUTE.  Totally burned.  So she's a big fat nerd for fashion and I'm a big fat nerd for writing grad school papers.  That's how we roll.  She's actually wondered out loud (TO MY PARENTS) how in the world we are friends... but that's another entry ;)

So I'm also a big fat nerd for reading-- I think I've said things like this before.  I could sing love songs to the art of reading.  No joke>> my idea of a perfect evening includes a glass of red wine and a good book (if that makes me lame I don't wanna be cool).  My Kindle feeds this addiction in a bad (read: amazing) way.  Of course, I still read hard-copy books.  But Kindle makes it soooooooo easy to finish a book and immediately start a new one.
With that said, I'm currently reading these books:
Love Wins by Rob Bell
Just Do Something by Kevin DeYoung

Have just ordered these books:
Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
Father Fiction by Donald Miller
Moosewood Cookbook (OM NOM NOM NOM NOM!!!)
Single Moms Raising Sons by Dana Crisholm

And have most recently finished these books:
A Million Miles in a Thousand Years by Donald Miller (just read this for the second time in 2 months)
The Naked Gardener by LB Gschwandtner
Learn Me Good by John Pearson
The Dirty Parts of the Bible by Sam Torode

So what are YOU reading?  Any suggestions for books I should check out (note: I hate horror, mystery, violence, etc... just fun reads, classics, or books that are causing a lot of ruckus on the blogging scene/twitterverse)?  Let me know!!!!!!!! cheers!

2 comments:

  1. I've been on a Jennifer McMahon kick. I've only read one of her books, "Don't Breathe a Word", but I immediately bought the other three after reading it. I'm working my way through my 2nd of hers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm currently reading "Friday Night Knitting Club"...just started it so not sure how it will be but good so far
    Just finished "Like Dandelion Dust" by Karen Kingsbury and prior to that "Water for Elephants" (I've been reading a lot since I'm done with school ;)) -- both were really good
    Some of my absolute favs if you haven't read them "Searching for God Knows What" by Donald Miller and "Same Kind of Different as Me"....I'm also a big fan of Jodi Picoult
    Ok...sorry...major book overload...guess I'm a reading nerd too ;)

    ReplyDelete