Oh, and the front porch... the front porch is seriously embarassing. But it's friggin cold outside (SNOW?!) and there's no way I'm putting together a pirate playhouse or sanding a buffet table in 35* weather. Plus I have forgotten to call Allied Waste to get my garbage pickup set up, so there's approximately 400 bags of trash and 7000 broken down cardboard boxes out there. To top it off, the porch light is currently this eerie naked yellow bulb....ya know, I like to keep it classy ;) As soon as the weather warms up I have every intention of making the front porch another living-ish area, but until then- out of sight/out of mind (even though it is easily in sight for anyone who drives by, plus us every time we leave or enter the house...oops).
ANYWAY, let's focus on the positives. One of the rooms is 99% done, which I'll say is done enough. The only thing left to do is hang some artwork and install the new handles on the drawers we refinished (the included screws were too short. I just haven't been back to Lowes to get the right ones yet, so it's on the list of things to do). Without further adieu, here is SETH'S room (before-- I should have taken more angles, but I didn't...):
And here is Seth's room (after..well, after-after really. The first 'after' would have had an actual bed. But his jumping skills are not antique bed friendly; I pretty much immediately put the bed in the basement and left him with just a boxspring/mattress combo. Now we have jumping competitions without worries of the slats falling out from under us!):
I just realized this picutre looks heaps drearier than the 'before' pic. I promise that is not the case in real life! I did take the photo vertically instead of horizontally (thus cutting out the windows) so I could showcase the fun new light fixture Seth's been diggin' to no end. Annnnd, we did paint the room a soft gray and accent it with new black bedding/curtains... but the walls kind of read blue and is completely little guy appropriate. See?:
Since we downsized, there's only room for so many toys in the lounge room. So his bedroom doubles as a playroom. Totally cool until half an hour after I put him to bed and I can hear a) his tambourine b)a ball bouncing across the room c)one of his tools 'fixing' something. Oh, well- one day I'll miss those sounds. And finally> a final, definitely NOT exciting view:
Woooo, refurbished dresser sans handles + 5 head floor lamp. And an empty laundry basket + a bottle of lotion. But it goes to show how big the room is (and how badly it needs some vibrant artwork....)! It's the largest one he's lived in to date, and absolutely gives him plenty of room to play and grow. So there it is...Things we (I mean tons of friends) changed to make it awesome: installed a new light fixture, painted the walls and closet (and closet shelf!), installed curtain rods and hung curtains, installed a coat rack, updated his room from the 'Cars' theme to something that will hopefully grow with him, repurposed an old dresser to better suit the room.... Actually, let me just take a sec to touch on this dresser. I'm really quite proud of it, as it's one of the first pieces of furniture I have ever redone. By 'one of', I mean the other firsts were done the same night (the antique bed and a coffee table)... Anyway, it originally looked like this:
...but then Angie and I attacked it in my parents unheated garage (sub 30* temps) looking like this:
DISCLAIMER> Those hats belong to my mom. I normally don't wear whateverthejunkthatthingwaswhenitwasalive on my head- but it was ridiculously cold. FUN FACT> We started this reno at 10:45pm. It was epic.
OK, so that's the story of the dresser. Well, pretty much anyway. It took three coats of paint plus a coat of poly to get it sethtacular and then a trip to Lowes to get new handles that will eventually make their way onto the drawers. OK, that's seriously the story of the dresser.
And that's part 1 of the house tour. cheers :)
LMAO I was doing great with "awww"s and "oooh"s until I saw our pic and then I just lost it! LOL so fun :)
ReplyDelete