Tuesday, February 15, 2011

A Special Place

I found it.  Finally.  After three months of checking Craigslist, The Dominion Post, and The DA *DAILY* (and for Craigslist, sometimes much more often than that), I found our new home.  The trouble I found with looking for a place was that NOONE wanted pets...let alone a german shepherd [add a chihuahua on top of that and it's a big red "X"]! 

It was stressful-- though I love the house we're in now (and our neighbors are a-MAZ-ing), it was important that we move on.  The house we're in is truly too big for us, and long-term it's way too expensive to boot! 

Of course when I started looking I had a huuuuge checklist, but that quickly was narrowed to just a few things:

1. Allows our 2 dogs
2. 2+ bedrooms
3. Within budget
4. Preferably in the South Park, Greenmont, Woodburn, or 1st Ward area.

I thought I found the place a few weeks ago, and even went back to sign the lease (!!!), but when I showed up I just got a dreadful feeling in my stomach...as I prayed about what to do, I just kept hearing a voice say over and over: LEAVE.  So I did.  I apologized to the landlord and told him I couldn't take it.  Obviously, he wasn't too impressed....

I'll be honest, it was really hard to walk away from that place.  It was the first one that was going to let me have my pets; it was across the street from a playground; the yard was fenced; the area was great... but I can't ignore That Voice.  Something about the landlord/the house/the situation just was not right, and as much as I struggled to do it-- I had to let it go.

So we go another couple of weeks, and I ended up randomly calling this landlord ad in the DA-- he said he had an apartment that might work...but actually he had a house as well; he was remodeling it to sell it, but for the right person maybe he'd rent it (I'm obviously the right person ;) ).  A few hours later he called back and told me he forgot that his friend also had a house for rent, so he would show me all three places and I could decide.

The apartment was nice, but if I have the choice these days between an apartment and a house, I'm going to pick the house almost every time.  So off the list.

House #1 (landlord's)> the one being remodeled to go on the market.  It was lovely.  Truly.  2 bedrooms, a new bathroom, nice dining room, fun kitchen, private second story deck, partially fenced yard, etc. etc... It was toward the top of my budget (actually, it was exactly the price of the 'That Voice' house....), but it was great.

House #2 (landlord's friend's)> smaller, more character, vintage kitchen (!!!!!!), 2 bedrooms, small bathroom, larger yard than house #1, $200 cheaper per month than House #1.  Cons: no washer/dryer included, the yard was not fenced

So that left me with a decision...because both were great.  House #1 was less up-front work and a bit larger, plus the small royal blue tile in the kitchen had me at 'hello'.  But House #2 stood its ground too, with a fireplace, the amazing kitchen, built ins in the bedroom, less pricey.  I was stuck.  I knew I'd be happy with either place, so I ultimately gave the decision back to the landlord.  He wanted to keep it on the market while I rented, I told him I couldn't do that to my son but that I was a great tenant (just quietly) so if he wanted to rent it to me for at least a year and THEN put it on the market I'd take his house...otherwise, I'd just as happily take the other.  He took the weekend to decide, but called me early Monday morning....

He chose to keep the house on the market, which made my decision to take House #2 SO EASY!  It met every requirement and THEN SOME! Bonus: I can paint as I choose, unlike House #1 which was being painted to suit potential buyers.  Interesting fact: I actually called about this exact house back in DECEMBER when I saw it listed on craigslist...even drove by it!  But the outside needed painted, and I took that as an indication of what the inside looked like.  I have no idea how it hasn't rented between then and now (because it's GREAT and the price is FANTASTIC!), but I'm so happy I got the chance to go inside (and nope, I didn't tell either landlord this part of the story!!!)--- I'm in house love.  Of course there is work to be done, but please check out this character:

Are you kidding me!?!?  I am SO EXCITED!!!  I went and signed the lease this morning...oh, and I get to move in on March 15, which is spot on perfect timing.  YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!  cheers! :)

2 comments: